This page contains information that is useful for people who are new to the Parish (or act as a reminder for those already living in the Parish).
Accident & Emergency
- Addenbrookes in Cambridge tel: 01223 245 151
- West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St. Edmunds tel: 01284 713000
- Oakfield Surgery, Vicarage Lane, Newmarket tel: 01638 558400
- Orchard House Doctors surgery, Fred Archer Way, Newmarket tel: 01638 666887
- The Rookery Medical Centre. Newmarket tel: 01638 664338
- Wickhambrook surgery, Wickhambrook tel: 01440 820140
- Bottisham Dental Practice, Bottisham tel: 01223 811844
- Oates Dental Surgery, York House, All Saints Road, Newmarket 01638 665637
- Olive Dental Care, Exning tel: 01638 445 358.
Newmarket Police Station tel: 01473 613500
PCSO tel: 101
However, children from Kirtling and Upend also attend Kettlefields Primary School as it is a similar distance to Cheveley. There is no bus service though.
The nearest train stations are Dullingham and Newmarket. Trains to Cambridge are approximately 1 an hour but not all stop at Dullingham. For a timetable click here.
There is a bus service (number 902) serving Kirtling and Upend which runs Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Click here for a timetable
Parish & District Council
The parish comes under East Cambridgeshire District Council (ECDC). Tel 01353 665555.
See Parish Council menu above for contact details.
Black bag collection is weekly on Tuesdays. Each household is provided with a green and blue wheelie bin for recycling. These are collected alternately every Tuesday. For the latest collection calendar please visit the East Cambridgeshire Refuse page.
The council provide a roll of black bags once a year.
Cambridge Mobile library calls at the Kirtling Red Lion from 12.40 – 12.55 every second Thursday of the month. It is free to join and borrow books including large print and audio books.
The Link Magazine
The Link magazine which serves the parishes of Kirtling, Ashley, Cheveley and Woodditton can be ordered through Veronica Aspland, Churchwarden, on 730405 if you live in Kirtling and Upend.
Don’t forget to also sign-up to the parish email news service
The Newmarket Community Recycling Centre, Depot Road, Newmarket has now reopened 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. seven days a week. Cardboard, paper, metals, books, bottles and clothing – no charge. Garden waste, wood and waste for landfill – a guide price to recoup the costs of disposal on request. Want to know more – 01638 560018
The nearest Cambridgeshire Council Recycling Centre is located at Milton. There are also recycling centres in Mildenhall and Haverhill.
Shopping and Post Office
The nearest shop for general supplies is Cheveley Village Stores which also has a post office. There is also a post office at the Ellesmere Centre which is open week-day mornings.
Health and Fitness
The Ellesmere Centre provides high quality and affordable facilities for everyone.
Fully wheelchair accessible and with plenty of parking, it is a friendly and welcoming venue – the first choice for community events.
- A new £60,000 all-weather multi-use games area
- Large indoor sports hall and squash court
- Changing rooms with showers and toilets
- Smaller function hall with fully licensed bar
- Village Post Office and community shop
- Meeting rooms
- Computer suite with internet
- Kitchen and preparation areas
Many classes and events are available for all ages and abilities – you will find the information you need about them on this website. Staff are in the office Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm, and can be contacted in the afternoon and at the weekend.