The north side arcade has six arches, also perpendicular, having moulding piers of four shafts and four hollows. Above, the clerestory windows are of later, c.1500. The roof is carried on wooden beams. On the north side a window of Early Renaissance style has three cusped lights and is dated 1564. There are floor stones as memorial tablets to various members of the North family.
There is a family vault tomb and other memorials of several members of the North family in the North memorial chapel. Edward, the first baron North, had this chapel built of bricks and added the church in the early part of the 16th century. Alice, his wife, who died in Charterhouse, their London home, was brought to Kirtling for burial. A six post tomb with white columns decorated with carved mulberry, oak and vine carries the effigy of Roger, second baron North, who died 1600, lying in state in full armour.
A floor stone commemorates Dudley, the third baron, and modern mural tablets are memorials to Dudley, son of the twelfth baron, and his mother lady Valerie, 1867-1965, the last member of the North family to be buried in a sealed vault below.
The village of Kirtling was situated around the church until the black death in the 17th century. It is thought that the village was then moved to its present site about a mile from the church. The victims of the black death are buried in a part of the church yard which will never be allowed to reopened for burials.
Next: Part 8